Thursday, August 12, 2010

Astoria Column, Fort Stevens, and Tide Pools

I didn't post yesterday's adventures, so I will double post today. I know I never post, so I hope it doesn't look bad that I am doing it every day on vacation. It is just fun for me to have a little travel log. If you don't want to read it, don't. I really don't mind. How would I ever know anyway?

Astoria column is totally worth the price of admission! It costs a dollar a year to park, and if you want to throw a balsa wood airplane off of the top that costs $.75. I would definitely recommend purchasing a balsa wood airplane. Those babies flew forever!! We did not purchase airplanes, so we just watched the other tourists throw theirs (cheap-skate option :) ) The column chronicles the history of Astoria, and the staircase is something like 160 steps to the top.

Astoria Column

Steve and I at the top
After we finished at the column we went to Fort Stevens. My camera battery was dying, so we didn't take any pictures. It was cool to see an old fort that was used in the Civil War and World War I, but there wasn't much to take a picture of. The barracks and officers buildings were only foundations and then they had the old bunkers and batteries, and shooting ranges and stuff.

We also went to a shipwreck. It was free, but I don't know that it was worth the price of admission.
yep that's the whole thing

Then we plugged in the camera and went to dinner.

That night we went to Cannon Beach to see the tide pools around Haystack Rock. I had never seen tide pools before. They were really cool!

Star Fish

No comments: